Bibliography of the terrestrial molluscs of Canada compiled by Robert Forsyth
This database attempts to:
- Allow the filtering of literature references by province or territory;
- Index species found in this body of literature, indicating province or territory;
- Attempt to update names found in the literature and create a list of species; and
- Link to online, freely available full-text versions of the cited literature.
The limitations are:
- Identifications — except in a very few cases, identifications from the literature have not been checked. I've tried to update older names to current names but with the assumption that the identifications were correct in the first place.
- Species and occurrences no recorded in the literature do not appear in this database!
As time permits, I will continue to add citations as I learn of, find, or acquire, additional literature. I welcome your additions and corrections to this bibliography, and I thank those people who have already supplied me with citations and copies of literature.
- Works included are mostly of a taxonomic or faunistic nature and are generally published, although a few “grey literature” items (newsletters, websites, and manuscript reports) are also included.
- Explanatory notes follow some items in this bibliography.
- URLs to online publications or archives are included when available or known to me.
- have not seen those citations coloured grey, and their rightful inclusion in this list may need to be verified.
- Links are added to sites (usually Biodiversity Heritage Library) where the published work can be viewed in full and is freely accessible online; this is still only partially implemented.
Recording literature records:
- The page number given is usually the first (major) instance of the species in a work.
- Subgenera used in the work are not recorded; thus, "Polygyra (Mesodon) columbiana" is recorded in the database as "Polygyra columbiana" only.
- Subspecies are recorded (noting that some are now regarded as full species).
- Capitalization, hyphenation and accented characters are ignored; thus, "Hawkinsii", "sub-cylindrica", and "Zoögenetes" are recorded as hawkinsii, subcylindrica, and Zoogenetes.
- Diphthongs in names and titles of works are written as separate glyphs: for example, "ć" is written as "ae".
- Misspellings appearing in the publicaton are not corrected but left as is, and if needed, with "[sic]" added in the comments for clarity.
- The current name may be only my best guess for some taxa!
- In instances where a literature record documents a species (or other species-level taxon) from Canada, and the type locality is in Canada, the comment "new taxon" is added.
A simple checklist, containing only species appearing in the literature and linked to the bibliographic database, is now available here. However, this may not be complete for the simple fact that unpublished records (and species only cited in yet non-indexed references) will not appear here.